Prospective MSc or PhD StudentYou may pursue research under my supervision in an area of mutual interest. Drop by my office for a chat if you are interested. You are welcome to send me a statement of purpose, a written research report (if available) and CV if you are not in Christchurch, NZ.
See Codes for details on coding aspects of PhD topics with a concurrent programming component.
See Proposals for details on a subset of the following possible PhD topics:
- Mathematical models of meme evolution and their scalable statistical inference from global twitter streams in Apache Spark
- Scalable machine-learning and nonparametric methods in Apache Spark
- Scalable computer-aided proofs in Apache Spark
- Set-valued Mathematics, Applied Interval Analysis
- Randomized Set-valued Algorithms
- Nonparametric Statistical Methods with Recursively Computable Statistical Information Structures
- Mathematical Genetics: Combinatorial Stochastic Processes in Molecular Genetics
- Statistical Genetics: Sufficiency and Approximate Sufficiency of Statistical Experiments in Molecular Genetics, Particle Filtering over Partially-Ordered Experiments Graph
- Computational Genetics: Computationally Intensive Inference in Molecular Genetics using Approximate Bayesian/Likelihood Computations,
- Spatial Stochastic Processes for Image Formation
- Rigorous Parameter Estimation for a measurable double pendulum
- Currently there are no PhD students as primary supervisees
- 2016-2017, MSc Computational and Applied Mathematical Science, Rania Sahioun - (Senior Supervisor)
- 2014-2015, MSc Computational and Applied Mathematical Science, Jasper McKenzie - (Senior Supervisor). Jasper was awarded a Callaghan Career Award and took a permanent position as DevOps/Data Engineer in Wynyard Group's Research and Development team, Christchurch. NZ.
- 2013-2014, MSc Computational and Applied Mathematical Science, Alan Williams - (Senior Supervisor). Joined a local IT company.
- 2014, PhD Computational and Applied Mathematics, Steve Manion - Unsupervised Knowledge-based Word Sense Disambiguation: Exploration and Evaluation of Semantic Subgraphs (Senior Supervisor). Steve won a Callaghan Career Award and took a permanent position as Data Scientist in Wynyard Group's Research and Development team, Christchurch. NZ.
- 2014, PhD Mechanical Engineering, Hamid Asgari - Modelling and Control of Industrial Power Plant Gas Turbines Using Artificial Neural Networks (Co-supervisor).
- 2014, MSc Mathematics with Distinction, Connor Robinson-Arnull - A confidence-weighted temporal approach to recommender systems (Senior Supervisor). Connor joined a PhD Program in Pure and Applied Logic (PAL) at Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburg, PA, USA in 2014
- 2013, MSc Statistics with Distinction, Irene Van Woerden - A statistical investigation of the risk factors for tuberculosis (Co-supervisor). 1) Irene joined Pagasus Health, Christchurch, NZ, as an information analyst in 2013 and (2) then joined a PhD program in Statistics at Arizona State University, Tempe in 2014.
- 2013, MSc Statistics with Distinction, Jennifer Harlow - Data-Adaptive Multivariate Density Estimation Using Regular Pavings, With Applications to Simulation-Intensive Inference (Senior Supervisor). Jennifer joined the School of Mathematics and Statistics, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, NZ, as a Senior Academic Tutor.
- 2013, PhD Statistics, Gloria Teng - Density Estimation with Statistical Regular Pavings (Senior Supervisor). Joined University Tunku Abdul Rahman, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia as Lecturer in Data Mining.
- 2011, BSc Honours, Nuradilla Azhari - Exact transdimensional estimation of primate genetrees. High-school Maths and Stats Teacher in Malaysis.
- 2009-2010: Thomas Steinke - A Rigorous Extension of the Schönhage-Strassen Integer Multiplication Algorithm Using Complex Interval Arithmetic, Thomas Steinke and Raazesh Sainudiin, June 3, 2010, EPTCS 24 Proceedings Seventh International Conference on Computability and Complexity in Analysis, Zhenjiang, China, 21-25th June 2010 (preprint). Thomas gave a Talk at CCA2010. Thomas joined a PhD program in Computer Science at Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA.
- 2009-2010: Josh Collins - Statistical Classification of Medical Images. Joined Maths PhD Program at Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand.
- 2008-2009: Piers Lawrence - UC Summer Scholar on A Mechatronically Measurable Double Pendulum. Joined Applied Maths PhD Program at University of Western Ontario, London, Canada.
- 2007-2008: Bry Ashman - programming for Galton’s Septcunx, a Visual Cognitive Tool GUI. Joined IP Traffic Analysis Team in local industry.
Last modified on Saturday, 03-Sep-2016 17:38:32 MST and served on Saturday, 27-May-2017 19:53:36 MST.